This weekend, we began a new series called Fully Charged, where we will discuss the most mysterious member of the Trinity: the Holy Spirit. In the Christian life, the Holy Spirit is the one who energizes everything. Learning to relate to Him is so important, but it can often feel confusing as well.
- If you need a boost of energy, do you have a go-to food or drink to help charge you up? Is it coffee, soda, a 5-hour energy shot, or something else?
- This is a series about the Holy Spirit. Discuss what your initial thoughts are regarding Him. Do you think the Holy Spirit is the neglected member of the Trinity? Why or why not?
Read John 3:8 together.
- John uses the image of a powerful and uncontrollable wind to describe the Spirit. How does this image help you understand what it means to relate to the Holy Spirit?
- Jeff shared, “Our job as a church and as individuals is to sense where the Spirit is moving and go there and be open to His work to adjust our sails to Him.” How can we sense where the Spirit is moving? Do you think you are good at knowing what the Spirit is up to?
Read Galatians 5:16-25.
- What is “the flesh”? If a non-Christian asked you to define it, how would you describe it?
- Paul describes how there is a battle within us between the work of the Spirit and the desires of the flesh. Do you sense this battle within you? Specifically, how do you sense it, and is there a time and place where you most feel it?
- What are some of the works of the flesh Paul mentions? Why do you think he mentions these issues? How do these things lead us away from the life God would have for us?
- Paul describes the work of the Spirit as fruit. Why do you think he uses this image? How does Paul help us understand what the Spirit is up to in the lives of believers?
- As you look over the fruit of the Spirit list, is there one characteristic in particular you need or desire in your life right now? Why?
- If you are a Christ-follower, is there a specific way you’ve experienced God’s transforming power? Perhaps, it was in the way you saw yourself, a desire within you changed, you felt less anxious, or in some other way. Share with the group.
- Is there an area in your life where you feel like you are “losing the battle” between the flesh and the Spirit? Is there a place where you are resisting the Spirit’s work? Talk about it as a group.