When was the last time you went on a date with your spouse? Has it become even harder to set aside money and time for date night since getting married?
We understand how difficult it can be to schedule a date night (especially after having kids), but we also know how important it is to invest in our relationships. One key to building a healthy, successful marriage is to continually pursue one another. This can be achieved through date nights.
An often misconception about date nights is that they should be extravagant, but really, they can be as simple as sitting in the backyard and talking.
Here are 10 budget-friendly date night ideas that will give you some quality time with your spouse without breaking the bank!
Budget-Friendly Date Night Ideas at Home
The key to any good date night is not where you go or what you do—it’s who you’re with! You can have a successful date night just by staying at home with your spouse. Here are some ways that you can use your home as the perfect date night spot.
- Watch a movie! Find one at Redbox or on Netflix, grab some snacks, and a big blanket! It’s a great way to unwind and relax with your spouse. If you have kids, just put up a sign that reads, “Date Night! No interruptions unless you’re hurt.”
- Cook together! We all know cooking at home ends up being a lot cheaper than going out to eat. Instead of seeing cooking as a chore, pick out a special, fun, or easy meal and cook together!
- Game night! Bring out your competitive edge with each other and make your date night a game night.
- Enjoy the outdoors in your own yard! Whether it’s on the front porch or in the backyard, hang out with your spouse and talk over some food or drinks while enjoying nature.
Budget-Friendly Date Night Ideas Outside of the Home
Want to escape and explore? Our staff members are active in the community and know some great, budget-friendly date night spots in the DFW area!
- Head up to Watters Creek or Downtown Plano! Our staff members recommend going to either of those locations to take advantage of the free concerts and live music. Not only are these great places to walk around but also to people watch!
- Go out to the movies! Head down to a drive-in movie theater for a different experience. Too far? On Tuesday, Cinemark discounts their tickets to $5. It’s a great way to see your new favorite blockbuster film on a budget! You’ll feel a lot better about splurging on popcorn and a drink.
- Check out your local bowling alley! Who said bowling was out of style? Nothing says a good date night better than a little competitive edge. At Plano Super Bowl, there’s a special on Sundays (only $1.50 per game!) from 6:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Take a walk or bike around a park! This is a great way to reconnect and communicate with your spouse while exercising. After taking a lap or two, settle down somewhere and have yourselves a nice picnic! Who knew making a PB&J could be romantic?
- Go on a night-time drive! Driving around your town at sunset with your spouse and a few car jams is a sweet and simple way to enjoy each other’s company. How often do we just take a drive for fun, where there’s no set location and no ETA?
- Snag yourselves a sweet treat! A single-scoop or double-scoop of ice cream can make any date night a great one. At Cold Stone Creamery, they’re offering a deal for two creations for the price of one!